MRHS Attendance Policy
Consistent attendance directly contributes to student success. We encourage every student to attend every class on time every day. The purpose of this policy is to increase student attendance and academic learning.
Parents/Guardians should avoid interruptions of the academic year and plan medical appointments and vacations at times that will not require students to be out of school.
When a student exceeds 2 unexcused absences, 3 tardies or 1 verified truancy in a class, their grade will automatically change to No Grade (NG). NG signifies that no credit is awarded for the course until the NG has been resolved.
To resolve an NG, students will work with each teacher, by appointment, to recover missed learning in each class.
- The teacher will fill out the attendance form and the Attendance Office will verify the resolution of the NG.
- The required time or work to resolve a NG may be contingent upon the amount of learning missed. Teachers may focus on the missed learning in each class to determine the amount of make-up time or work required.
- Students are responsible to schedule the appropriate time to complete their recovery work and learning. This may include before or after school and/or during student intervention time from 1 pm - 2 pm on Fridays and may extend up to 3 pm as you work with your teacher.
(*Note: Teachers will not be required to do any NG recovery during their lunch time. Please respect teachers' time to have lunch without interruption.)
- Teachers and Academic Trackers will help remind students that an NG should be resolved during the current quarter; However, it is ultimately the responsibility of the student to track their own grades. All current quarter NG(s) should be cleared before the last week of each quarter.
- At the conclusion of each quarter, any unrecovered NG(s) will appear on the report card. Resolving NG(s) from previous quarters will require discussion with their administrator to set expectations for clearing each NG. A contractual arrangement may be required for each NG. Participation in dances, extracurricular activities, athletics, and the graduation ceremony may be limited until NG(s) from previous quarters are resolved.
Parents are encouraged to monitor student attendance via their Skyward/Jordan Family Access. The Attendance Office Staff and MRHS Administration is available to answer any questions regarding this policy, please call 801-412-1710.
THE FOLLOWING CODES COUNT TOWARD A NO GRADE (NG)
- A UNEXCUSED ABSENCE
- T TARDY
- U UNEXCUSED CHECK IN
- W WAY LATE
- Z TRUANCY
Excused v. Unexcused: Learning is still required. While an absence may be excused, the missed learning will still affect the grade in the class. By excusing absences, parents assume the responsibility to ensure that their students are working with teachers to recover their missed learning in a timely manner. Parents should notify the school of any absences within 10 school days. Extenuating circumstances should be discussed with an administrator.
Verified Truancy (Z): (Sluffing) cannot be excused and will result in an NG for the class until resolved.
Tardy (T): Arriving to class after the tardy bell has rung.
Way Late (W) / Late Check-Ins / Leaving Early: Arriving 10 minutes after the tardy bell rings or leaving class before the dismissal bell rings, without permission, results in a W, which is counted as an absence.
Check-in/Check-out Procedure for Parents:
- Students who are more than 10 minutes late and students with a parent/guardian phone call or note should check in through the Attendance Office, upon arrival at school.
- Student check-out can be requested by a phone call, received before 2 pm the day of check out. For student safety, only legal guardians and those designated by the parent/guardian either in writing or during registration verification, will be allowed to check students in or out.
- Students can pick up their check-in and check-out slips in the Attendance Office.
- A verified parent note or phone call can excuse a late check-in or early check-out.